Re: trouble selecting from array - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: trouble selecting from array
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>  reading the archives, you wrote:
>  "Because it isn't a slice expression --- you used colon nowhere, so the
>  result type is going to be text not text[].  (Remember that the parser
>  must determine the expression's result type at parse time, so whether
>  there are enough subscripts can't enter into this.)  Our alternatives
>  here are to throw a subscripting error or return NULL.  I'd personally
>  have gone with throwing an error, I think, but it seems far too late to
>  revisit that decision."
>
>  is there not enough information available to the parser to reduce the
>  expression dimensions by one?

ugh, I think I see the problem.  You have some function that returns
an int[], which does not have a defined number of dimensions, so:

select func()[] is not known to return an int or an int[] at parse
time, so the path of least resistance was to assume 'int'.   sorry for
the noise.

merlin