Re: RFP: Recursive query in 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: RFP: Recursive query in 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>  We propose to implement the recursive query (WITH RECURSIVE clause)
>  defined in SQL:1999 and later. With the recursive query, one can
>  easily inquire the data expressed as tree and graph structures.  The
>  actual syntax we prefer is the one defined in SQL:2008 (it's not
>  published yet, but I have a closest draft).

I am sure you are aware of various ad hoc approaches that are
currently possible.  The recursive clause seems to generalize these
approaches.

Do you expect that your proposed solution will have performance
advantages over solutions like using recursive functions and (for tree
organized data) arrays?

merlin