Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/10/07, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick <mfitzpat@bu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running postgresql-7.3.3 and we had a hardware controller and
> disk failure on the system.  And of course the database does not appear
> to be backup anywhere.
>
> I was reading about PITR and was wondering if that is applicable to my
> version.  We do have pg_xlog files and I am wondering if there is anyway
> to recover the data.
>
> The error we get when trying to access a very important table is
>
> "Invalid page header in block 51 of vuser"
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> (upgrades and backups lessons learned)

PITR feature was introduced in PostgreSQL 8.0  No help there.  You are
looking at data loss unfortunately.  How complete data loss depends on
how relatively intact the structures are and how much time and effort
you are willing to spend fixing problems causing errors like the
above.

* did you recover part or all of the database volume?
* were you running with fsync off or on?

merlin