Re: Plan invalidation design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Plan invalidation design
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > If you prepare "select *" and add a column, you're saying the query should
> > start failing?
>
> Either fail or change output; which you like better?  The whole point of
> this exercise is to support plpgsql functions that do something like
>
>         create temp table foo ...
>         select * into rec from foo ...
>         drop table foo ...

If that's the case, do you think there is a simpler way to handle this
problem than plan invalidation?  Maybe I'm oversimplifying things a
bit here, but how about something like:

create local table foo ...
select * into rec from foo ...

this isn't completely unsurprising...we have 'SET LOCAL, etc.

merlin