Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/7/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Heap Only Tuples ("HOT") is a simplification of earlier proposals for
> > improving the way the server handles frequent updates, based upon what's
> > been learned and feedback received.

> Uhmmm... how often is that the case? Don't get me wrong, bravo but that
> seems a rather large limitation.
>
> Considering it, this would certainly be a boon in web space where you
> have things like Rails doing:

HOT is great for tables that are updated frequently via triggers or
cron right?  so it this eliminate the need to vacuum foo following
executing:
update foo set v =1 where id =1;
where v is not an index, right?

if so, it would be great all kinds of things, especially
materialization techniques.  or any situation where a table is updated
so frequently autovac can't keep up.  I can think of tons of places
where this would be useful.

merlin