Re: psql/readline clears screen - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: psql/readline clears screen
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/9/06, Reece Hart <reece@harts.net> wrote:
>  On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 09:02 -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>      is there a way to configure psql/readline so that it doesn't clear the
>      screen after browsing a query with 'q'?
>  I assume you're using the less text pager on a Unix box. I think what you're seeing is less clearing the screen
afterdisplaying a query (i.e., it's not psql or readline).

>  I like the following invocation: less -iMSx4 -FX (see less manpage for explanation).  This is particularly useful
with' \pset pager always' (in .psqlrc). The upshot is that less will decide whether the contents fit on one screen both
horizontallyand vertically; if so it'll display and quit without any interaction, and if not it will permit scrolling
inone or both directions.

actually, i do my editing about 60% windows, 40% linux until i finish
migrating my development platform to os x. on windows, i tried out
your less options using the cygwin compiled psql and like them very
much.

merlin