Re: running PostGres without installing it - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: running PostGres without installing it
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/6/06, jesus martinez <jesus_martinez1967@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> hello, how are you ?
>
> i want to distribute a copy of PostGres to my clients.
> they really dont know anything about installing
> programs or
> configurating remote RDBMS sql-servers,
> so i dont want to give them the
> "official-PostGres-installer.exe"
> but my own installer.exe (win32) that:

I've done it, it's not to difficult.  In fact, if you check the
archives you might find a tutorial.  The hard part in windows is
launching a cmd process to initdb the database since it can't run as
administrator.  I had to use a program called 'sanur' to allow me to
feed the password to runas.

Also check out ntrights.exe to grant logon as service right and the
'net' command to add a user.

Have you looked at silent mode install with standard installer?

merlin