Re: multi-column aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: multi-column aggregates
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Kratz wrote:
> Well for anyone else who may be interested in doing something similar, here is
> what we did.  It does require typecasting going into the functions, composite
> types and using the dot notation to get the value back out of the composite
> object returned.  But it works.
>
> This is what we wanted...
>
> select last(cur_date, some_column) from some_table....
>
> We got this close...
>
> select (last((cur_date, some_column)::last_int_agg)).value as last_int from...

have you looked at new row-wise comparison feature (i might be
misunderstanding your problem)?

select some_column from some_table where (cur_date, some_column) <
'01/01/06',  99999999) order by cur_date desc, some_column desc limit
1;

this will give you the highest value of some_column on the abitrarily
chosen date 01/01/06 (assuming all values of some_column are less than
99999999).

Merlin