Re: Postgres using 100% CPU - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Postgres using 100% CPU
Date
List pgsql-general
n 14 Feb 2006 06:46:48 -0800, Nik <XLPizza@gmail.com> wrote:

> I turned off stats collector, and any row stat collectors, and I
> increased the number of check points since I have been getting the
> error about check point switches being to frequent. Postgres now uses a
> bit less CPU (60-90%), which is still a lot considering that no
> processing is being done. Is there anything else I can do to lower this
> CPU utilization? Is there a way I can pinpoint exactly what part of
> postgres is using this CPU?

something is seriously wrong.  Fire up the task manager and determine
the pid of the process that is sucking cpu.  Then query
pg_stat_activity to determine who/what is doing it (you will have to
restore stats). consider setting statement logging to get the exact
offender.

Merlin