Re: Error: "could not read from statistics collector pipe" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Error: "could not read from statistics collector pipe"
Date
List pgsql-general
> 2006-01-27 10:37:29 FATAL  could not read from statistics collector
>                            pipe: No error
> 2006-01-27 10:37:30 LOG    statistics collector process (PID 5940)
>                            was terminated by signal 1

try turning row level statistics off (or, during bulk inserts, turn
inserts off completely).  I've seem this too but never nailed it down.

> (PostgreSQL 8.1.2, WinXP SP2, Athlon64 X2 3800, 2 GB RAM)
>
> These errors occur every 1-2 minutes when the DB is active. What do
> these messages mean and how can I stop them from appearing?
>
> I also noticed that during inserting lots of records, the DB becomes
> increasingly slower the more records were inserted. For example, the
> first 100000 records take 15 minutes, but records 300000-400000 take
> 3 hours. Could this be related to the messages above?

try defering index/key generationg until after the insert.  probably
what is happening is you are blowing out your sort memory and swapping
occurs.  of course, you can always bump sort_mem

merlin