Number of connections to postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vaibhav Puranik
Subject Number of connections to postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi friends,

I am using Redhat Linux 8 with Postgres 7.3.1
I am running jboss server on the same machine. Right now my postgres uses
default number of connections which is 32.
I am planning to deploy some more web applications of the same server. This
will necessitate me to increase max number of connections to postgres.

Can anybody guide me on what is the typical number of connections for an web
application that can get about 500 requests simulteneously. If I set my max
number of connections to 100 do I need to change shmmax which is now set to
32 MB?

Regards,
Vaibhav Puranik