Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> > As an alternative viewpoint, I've been running the latest postgres on
> > Mac OS X Server 10.4, and it's been great for me.  It was my first time
> > using a server, and my first serious use of postgres (although I have
> > had a lot of previous unix experience.)  All the power of unix, all the
> > ease of the Macintosh (and it's server installation gives you lots of
> Pardon me for being the contrarian, but why does a server need a
> GUI?  Isn't that just extra RAM & CPU overhead that could be more
> profitably put to use powering the application?
Amen =)

Unnecessary waste of resources, plus artificial introduction of stuff
that can potentially make the machine go belly-up...  a dedicated
server should have the bare minimum install; as much as necessary
and as little as possible.

/me cringes at the idea of flying toasters slowing down a query ... :D

> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA
Cheers,