Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/07, John K Masters <johnmasters@oxtedonline.net> wrote:

> I love Slackware but have eventually gone back to running my servers on
> Debian stable. Most of the Debian derivatives base on unstable to get
> the latest version of things but stable is rock solid and will never let
> you down. The advantage of Debian over Slackware is the ease of
> installation of new packages and updating the latest security patches.
I'll have to disagree :} on the "new packages" part.  While
apt-get'ing security fixes may be easier than manually ftp'ing
after having received the security alert ( I don't mind the mildly
more involved approach), I have to say that I find trying to
install packages that the maintainers didn't find necessary to
update (and no, just because I want a newer version of postgres
I don't necessarily want to dist-upgrade) I much prefer Slackware
*because* it doesn't have any dependency checks.

> Regards, John
Cheers,
Andrej