Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John K Masters
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06:30 Thu 02 Aug     , Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> > Andrej,
> Richard,
>

> >    How quickly people forget about the quiet distribution: Slackware. Ideal
> > for servers, and great on desktops and portables, too, for those who know
> > what they're doing.
> Slackware is my preferred distro by a long stretch, I've
> been a happy Slacker for over 6 years now;  but to someone
> who's new to Linux as such, and wanting to get a production
> system up and running quickly, I wouldn't recommend it.  A
> few months of solid experience would be the minimum, I'd say.

I love Slackware but have eventually gone back to running my servers on
Debian stable. Most of the Debian derivatives base on unstable to get
the latest version of things but stable is rock solid and will never let
you down. The advantage of Debian over Slackware is the ease of
installation of new packages and updating the latest security patches.

BTW stable versions are only released when they are  bug free (as far as
anything can be) on ALL architectures supported by Debian, which is I
believe, something like 14 different architectures. The 'untus et al support
one architecture or perhaps two. Just to clarify, unstable does not mean
it crashes all the time, although it can if you blindly upgrade
everything every day, it just means that things change frequently. In
stable things hardly ever change and if they do you can be 99.9% sure
they will work afterwards.

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)