Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John K Masters
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09:15 Thu 02 Aug     , Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 8/2/07, John K Masters <johnmasters@oxtedonline.net> wrote:
>
> > I love Slackware but have eventually gone back to running my servers on
> > Debian stable. Most of the Debian derivatives base on unstable to get
> > the latest version of things but stable is rock solid and will never let
> > you down. The advantage of Debian over Slackware is the ease of
> > installation of new packages and updating the latest security patches.
> I'll have to disagree :} on the "new packages" part.  While
> apt-get'ing security fixes may be easier than manually ftp'ing
> after having received the security alert ( I don't mind the mildly
> more involved approach), I have to say that I find trying to
> install packages that the maintainers didn't find necessary to
> update (and no, just because I want a newer version of postgres
> I don't necessarily want to dist-upgrade) I much prefer Slackware
> *because* it doesn't have any dependency checks.

I must admit I am torn between Slack and Deb but being lazy I have gone
for Debian. I ran Slackware 10 on my laptop for ages but eventually the
hassle of keeping track of all the installed apps led me to change. This
is probably due to my nature being such that I automatically install any
package that looks the remotest bit interesting.

Debian makes it extremely easy to undo mistakes.

To get back to the original point, for a production server running
postgres/linux I would definately recommend Debian and if it is not
mission-critical, debian-testing and if you are feeling adventurous,
Debian-unstable AKA sid.

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)