Update minimum SSL version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Update minimum SSL version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I propose to change the default of ssl_min_protocol_version to TLSv1.2
(from TLSv1, which means 1.0).  Older versions would still be supported,
just not by default.

The reason is that TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are either already discouraged or
deprecated or will be by the time PostgreSQL 13 comes out.  So this move
would be in the direction of "secure by default".  Specifically, PCI DSS
disallows the use of TLS 1.0 and discourages 1.1 [0], and browser
vendors are set to disable 1.0 and 1.1 in their products sometime soon [1].

Using TLS 1.2 requires OpenSSL 1.0.1, released in 2012.  I find this to
be satisfied in CentOS 6 and Debian jessie (oldoldstable), for example.

More details also in my recent blog post [2].

[0]:
https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/are-you-ready-for-30-june-2018-sayin-goodbye-to-ssl-early-tls
[1]:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/browser-vendors-unite-to-end-support-for-20-year-old-tls-1-0/