Re: adding more space to the existing server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: adding more space to the existing server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/19 12:45 PM, Julie Nishimura wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> 1) We use streaming replication, and due to hardware limitation, we
> cannot add more drives to the existing host. That is why we thought by
> breaking the existing streaming replication (from a->b), instead of
> currently identical standby (b), we can introduce twice larger host,
> then start the replication to the newly larger host, and when it is
> caught up, break it again. Then break rep again, make modification to
> 'a" host, making it larger, then replicate b->a. After it is caught up,
> break the rep again, switch master->standby (if necessary).

Is this new host going to be an entirely new machine?

If so and there is a place for it why not something like:

1)
    a) --> b) --> c)(new host)
                   Seed using pg_basebackup
                    Replicate in background
2)
    Take down a)
    Promote either b) or c) to primary and the other as standby.

3)
    Bring up a) and have it replicate off the standby in 2) and then
decide which of a) or c) is the primary or standby.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com