Re: Restore from 7.3 to 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From frag
Subject Re: Restore from 7.3 to 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> chris.gamble@CPBINC.com wrote:
>
>> I have a 7.3 postgres database that I need to create a backup from, and
>> restore onto a 7.2 database. Is this possible and if so where can I find
>> references on doing so?
>

> I stumbled on this one recently. The only way I found was to do a *text*
> dump (pg_dump -F p) and edit the dump : you have to delete all
> references to schemas and all references to column names in the "copy"
> commands restoring data.

Also remove all references to pg_catalog from the SELECTs  initiating
sequence numbers with setval(...).

And if you have to move large objects as well, it should be possible to
dump to tar format, untar it manually, find and modify the sql file,
prepare a new tar out of them and restore the archive. I haven't tested
it in this scenario actually but it might work.

HTH

Przemek Tomala