Re: default result formats setting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: default result formats setting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-11-05 22:03, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> Independently of that, how would you implement "says otherwise" here,
>>> ie do a single-query override of the session's prevailing setting?
>>> Maybe the right thing for that is to define -1 all the way down to the
>>> protocol level as meaning "use the session's per-type default", and
>>> then if you don't want that you can pass 0 or 1.  An advantage of that
>>> is that you couldn't accidentally break an application that wasn't
>>> ready for this feature, because it would not be the default to use it.
>> Yeah, that sounds a lot better.  I'll look into that.
>
> Here is a new patch updated to work that way.  Feels better now.

I think this is conceptually OK, although it feels a bit odd.

Might it be better to have the values as typename={binary,text} pairs
instead of oid={0,1} pairs, which are fairly opaque? That might make
things easier for things like UDTs where the oid might not be known or
constant.

cheers

andrew

--