Re: exporting data from one DB to another asynchronously - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Nagita Karunaratne
Subject Re: exporting data from one DB to another asynchronously
Date
List pgsql-novice
It's relatively straightforward (ie well documented) to implement a
web application with a database on the same machine or even on a
different machine.

But I think if you have two or three applications that access subsets
of the same data and it is private information (with penalties for any
unwanted data disclosures) and you want it to be as secure as possible
then it is much less simple.

Someone suggested that I have a single Postgres instance with three
tablespaces. If I have a separate machine running the Postgres DB and
three applications accessing only the tables in their respective
tablespace that may be easier and more secure to implement.

It seems there is a way to migrate data between tablespaces with
stored procedures and triggers and not have the application themselves
be aware of the requirements of the others.

This way I only have to worry about one database but any failure in
that will bring down all three apps.

Thanks,
NK