Re: plpgsql + dblink() question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frankie Lam
Subject Re: plpgsql + dblink() question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Joe, thanks very much for your reply.

However, the caller (function on Server 1) is still waiting for something to
return endlessly. It seems to me that the connect_timeout option doesn't
work.
I've tried to set connect_timeout to 1, and it also has to wait  for the
function
on Server 2 to complete. (Is this a bug?)

Thanks very much for your help.

Frankie Lam

"Joe Conway" <mail@joeconway.com> wrote in message
> Frankie wrote:
> > The case is when I call a function (from Server 1 at psql prompt) that
will
> > call dblink to do some operation
> > on another server(it will take certain time), i.e. Server 2, and
meanwhile I
> > just unplug the network cable to Server 2.
> > The consequence is that the function will never return except I plug the
> > cable into it again, moreover I cannot even cancel
> > the query and stop the postgresql server (have to 'kill -9'.)
>
> dblink just uses libpq to handle the communication, so you can use the
> connect_timeout connection parameter. It defaults to infinite if not
> explicitly set. Something like this should set a 5 second timeout:
>
> select * into tmp from dblink(''host=linux dbname=twins
connect_timeout=5'',
> ''select mysleep();'') as (retval text);
>
> See:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/libpq-connect.ht
ml