Re: db_user_namespace, md5 and changing passwords - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fernando Moreno
Subject Re: db_user_namespace, md5 and changing passwords
Date
List pgsql-general
2008/10/7 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
Bruce Momjian escribió:

> Well, I posted about this in August with no one replying:
>
>       http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-08/msg00068.php
>
> Basically, there is a mismatch between what libpq and the backend think
> is the username, and that affects how MD5 uses the salt on the two sides
> of the connection.

I totally agree that this needs a redesign, but we must provide
something to replace it with, not just rip it off.

> The minimal solution would be to document this and print a proper
> error message.

Seems fair.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Thanks for the answers, I wasn't aware of the conflict between md5-auth and db_user_namespace, but it seems highly related to my problem.

Could you suggest me another way to handle this? Managing users in the usual way is likely to work fine most of the time, but not when an specific database(+users) is backed up and restored in the same server, or when two or more databases (corresponding to different applications) try to create users with the same name.

Right now there's only one database in the server, but the backup module should be ready to handle these situations in the future.

Cheers.