Inheritence and Integrity - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Neal Lindsay
Subject Inheritence and Integrity
Date
Re: Inheritence and Integrity  (chester c young <chestercyoung@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
I am creating a database that will keep track of several different types
of 'events'. I am toying with the idea of making a base 'class' table
for the tables because a lot of the information will be the same (also
there will probably be times I just need to get the basic information
about events regardless of their type). My question is: will triggers
and rules on the parent table fire when I insert data in the child
tables? Are there any other potential pitfalls?

Thank you,
-Neal Lindsay

P.S. Here is a simplified example of my schema:

CREATE TABLE parenttable (recordid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,recordname text
);

CREATE TABLE childtablea (afield int4
) INHERITS parenttable;

CREATE TABLE childtableb (bfield text
) INHERITS parenttable;

CREATE TABLE extrainfo (extrainfoid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,record_fkey int4 NOT NULL REFERENCES
parenttable(recordid),extrainfotexttext

);