Re: ident client authentication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Hide
Subject Re: ident client authentication
Date
List pgsql-general
Many thanks for your reply.

The web  server runs as what/whoever it does by default. I haven't changed it.

I understand what you are getting at, because Richard Huxton pointed out to me that the script is probably running as the web server user.

The script runs as 'apache' (let us say), the connect in the python program is by 'jim'. Then what does sameuser mean in the hba file.

Paul Hide
On 11/8/05, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:02:14 +0000,
  Paul Hide <paul.hide@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with ident client authentication.
> My server is debian sarge, pg version is 7.4.7, apache 2.0.54, mod_python
> 2.3. A python script is placed on the server and runs under mod_python in
> apache.
>
> I make a request from firefox on a win 2k box to this server.
> If I have
> local all jim trust
> in my pg_hba.conf file, all is well, my python script runs and delivers the
> expected output.
>
> However, if i have
> local all jim ident sameuser
> I get FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user jim, via mod-python debug
> and in postgres log.
>
> jim is both a unix user (linux) and a postgres user.
>
> Is this what would be expected?

Does the web server run as user jim? That seems unusual. You may need to set
up an ident map that allows user 'apache' (or whatever applies on your machine)
to connect as postgres user 'jim'.