Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/13/2018 10:40 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Michael Paquier (michael@paquier.xyz) wrote:
>> Well, one thing is that the current checks in the postmaster make sure
>> that a data folder is never using anything else than 0700.  From a
>> security point of view, making it possible to allow a postmaster to
>> start with 0750 is a step backwards ...

> Lastly, the user *is* able to enforce the privileges on the data
> directory if they wish to, using tools such as tripwire which are built
> specifically to provide such checks and to do so regularly instead of
> the extremely ad-hoc check provided by PG.
>
> ...  Ultimately, the default which makes sense here isn't a
> one-size-fits-all but is system dependent and the administrator should
> be able to choose what permissions they want to have.

Hear, hear. Returning for a moment again to

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8b16cc30-0187-311e-04b5-1f32446d89dd%40anastigmatix.net

we see that a stat() returning mode 0750 on a modern system may not
even mean there is any group access at all. In that example, the
datadir had these permissions:

# getfacl .
# file: .
# owner: postgres
# group: postgres
user::rwx
user:root:r-x
group::---
mask::r-x
other::---

While PostgreSQL does its stat() and interprets the mode as if it is
still on a Unix box from the '80s, two things have changed underneath
it: POSIX ACLs and Linux capabilities. Capabilities take the place of
the former specialness of root, who now needs to be granted r-x
explicitly in the ACL to be able to read stuff there at all, and there
is clearly no access to group and no access to other. It would be hard
for anybody to call this an insecure configuration. But when you stat()
an object with a POSIX ACL, you get the 'mask' value where the 'group'
bits used to go, so postgres sees this as 0750, thinks the 5 represents
group access, and refuses to start. Purely a mistake.

It's the kind of mistake that is inherent in this sort of check,
which tries to draw conclusions from the semantics it assumes, while
systems evolve and semantics march along. One hypothetical fix would
be to add:

#ifdef HAS_POSIX_ACLS
... check if there's really an ACL here, and the S_IRWXG bits are
really just the mask, or even try to pass judgment on whether the
admin's chosen ACL is adequately secure ...
#endif

but then sooner or later it will still end up making assumptions
that aren't true under, say, SELinux, so there's another #ifdef,
and where does it end?

On 03/13/2018 11:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> In a larger sense, this fails to explain the operating principle,
> namely what I stated above, that we allow the existing permissions
> on PGDATA to decide what we allow as group permissions.

I admit I've only skimmed the patches, trying to determine what
that will mean in practice. In a case like the ACL example above,
does this mean that postgres will stat PGDATA, conclude incorrectly
that group access is granted, and then, based on that, actually go
granting unwanted group access for real on newly-created files
and directories?

That doesn't seem ideal.

On 03/13/2018 10:45 AM, David Steele wrote:
> As Stephen notes, this can be enforced by the user if they want to,
> and without much effort (and with better tools).

To me, that seems really the key. An --allow-group-access option is
nice (but, as we see, misleading if its assumptions are outdated
regarding how the filesystem works), but I would plug even harder for
a --permission-transparency option, which would just assume that the
admin is making security arrangements, through mechanisms that
postgres may or may not even understand. The admin can create ACLs
with default entries that propagate to newly created objects.
SELinux contexts can work in similar ways. The admin controls the
umask inherited by the postmaster. A --permission-transparency option
would simply use open and mkdir in the traditional ways, allowing
the chosen umask, ACL defaults, SELinux contexts, etc., to do their
thing, and would avoid then stepping on the results with explicit
chmods (and of course skip the I-refuse-to-start-because-I-
misunderstand-your-setup check).

It wouldn't be for every casual install, but it would be the best
way to stay out of the way of an admin securing a system with modern
facilities.

A lot of the design effort put into debating what postgres itself
should or shouldn't insist on could then, perhaps, go into writing
postgres-specific configuration rule packages for some of those
better configuration-checking tools, and there it might even be
possible to write tests that incorporate knowledge of ACLs, SELinux,
etc.

-Chap