Re: initdb recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: initdb recommendations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/22/19 12:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I'm afraid we're going to have to revert this, at least till
>> such time as a fixed buildfarm client is in universal use.
>> As for the nature of that fix, I don't quite understand why
>> the forced -U is there --- maybe we could just remove it?
>> But there are multiple places in the buildfarm client that
>> have hard-wired references to "buildfarm".
> BTW, it looks like the Windows buildfarm critters have a
> separate problem: they're failing with
>
> initdb: error: must specify a password for the superuser to enable md5 authentication
>
> One would imagine that even if we'd given a password to initdb,
> subsequent connection attempts would fail for lack of a password.
> There might not be any practical fix except forcing trust auth
> for the Windows critters.

Yeah.

Modulo this issue, experimentation shows that adding '-A trust' to the
line in run_build.pl where initdb is called fixes the issue. If we're
going to rely on a buildfarm client fix that one seems simplest. there
are a couple of not very widely used modules that need similar treatment
- TestSepgsql and TesUpgradeXVersion

cheers

andrew