Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns
Date
Re: Converting to identity columns with domains on PK columns  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 7/4/19 1:03 PM, PegoraroF10 wrote:
> ok, thanks for the explanation but ... I cannot add a field and move data,
> constraints, triggers, identity to it because my pk field will be
> repositioned to the last field on that table and I have lots of other codes
> which point to pk as the first field on every table.

I stay away from using the index position of field for this reason.

> So, there is a way to convert that field to a identity field ?

See my second option in previous post.

Or, old school identity column:):

create sequence id_seq owned by mytable.id;

alter table mytable alter column id set default nextval('id_seq');

\d mytable
                          Table "public.mytable"
    Column    | Type | Collation | Nullable |           Default
  id          | i32  |           | not null | nextval('id_seq'::regclass)
  description | t50  |           |          |
     "mytable_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com