Re: Vacuuming and re-indexing (was Re: Vacuum meaning) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: Vacuuming and re-indexing (was Re: Vacuum meaning)
Date
List pgsql-admin
""David F. Skoll"" <dfs@roaringpenguin.com> wrote in message
> > It's possible your suffering index bloat as well and you might need to
> > do some regular reindexing,
>
> Again, this sounds ugly.  How do you determine this?  How do you get your
> database to be reindexed as often as needed, but not too often?

Sound more ugly considering that some times the reindex is not possible
if the server is stressed ( the reindex hang ) for my experience
instead of do a reindex is better delete the indexes and recreate them.

With the following query you can obtain the size of each table or index:

SELECT relname, relpages * 8 AS Mb, reltuples
FROM pg_class
ORDER BY relpages DESC
LIMIT 10;

If you use the 7.3 I think you should multiply for 11.

Ciao
Gaetano.