Re: PostGres and WIN32, a plea! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostGres and WIN32, a plea!
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, ever tried using a large multiuser database such as a finance
> system using a Foxpro database? Network managers have been known to
> murder for less... :-)

Hmm, I have, and you could imagine the result :)
It was a small system, really and everything was fine until I added my 10th
user.  Then my data left me like the parting of the Red Sea :).

Building a database system on lousy tehnology, only to rewrite it is
something all database admins have to go through.  I think its kind of like
coming of age.  On the unix side of things, you have mysql catching people
the same way.

FP did have a very nice query optimizer.  Also, FP views optimized the where
condition through the query, and have for quite some time (does PG do this
yet?).  I think the FP team was really on to something, till M hamstrung the
project.

FP also had the ability to write user defined functions into the query,
something I thought I would have to give up forever, until I stumbled across
PG (from the mysql docs, go figure!)

Merlin