Quartile (etc) ranking in a SQL statement? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Boes
Subject Quartile (etc) ranking in a SQL statement?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Here's a puzzler:

Given a query that returns rows ranked by some criteria, how can I write
another query around it that will give me the (say) first quartile (top
25%)?  Another way of putting it is: if I have rows that look like this:

aaa | 1251
aba | 1197
cax | 1042
... | ...
axq |  23
(142 rows)

How can I write a query that will return these as
 1 | aaa | 1251 2 | aba | 1197 3 | cax | 1042
142 | axq |  23

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 616.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 616.349.9076