Re: New user questions - Mailing list psycopg

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: New user questions
Date
List psycopg
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Triple quoting is used when the statement extends across more then one
> line. Pair of double quotes is used for single line statement, especially
> when there are single quoted values in the statement.

Adrian,

That makes sense: the statements are treated as comments. I hadn't thought
of them that way.

>> 2) How do I write a cursor execute UPDATE statement where the columns and
>> values to be updated can be single or multiple and the values passed into
>> the method from the tkinter widgets? Are there examples from which I can
>> learn?
>
> There are several ways to read the above.
> Send some examples of what you want to do.

Here's a template:

update contacts
set
where
;

The contacts table has these attributes:
person_nbr   | integer
act_date     | date
act_type     | character varying(12)
notes        | text
next_contact | date

Could be a changed next_contact date, or notes, or both.

Other tables need updating; for example, a new job title for a person or a
new web site for a company.

Thanks,

Rich