Re: Bulk inserts into two (related) tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Bulk inserts into two (related) tables
Date
Re: Bulk inserts into two (related) tables
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 22 May 2019, Francisco Olarte wrote:

> Also, when I speak of "unique identifier" I'm not speaking of the one if
> your FINAL tables, I assume you would have at least the *_id field as
> PKEY, so nothing else needed, but the one in your SOURCE data set (it can
> be anything, like the row number in the original excel).

Francisco/Jeremy,

I'm grateful for you patient help. The 'unique identifier' in the source
file has been provided (just now) using nl <https://ss64.com/bash/nl.html>.
The syntax I used is:

nl -b a -n ln -s , -v 339 source.txt > out.txt

because the organizations table has 338 as the maximum org_id number.

I believe this fulfills the need for a known unique ID in the source file,
and when I parse each row using gawk to create the two files for table input
I can use it in both the organizations table (as the PK) and the people
table (as the FK referring to the organizations table). I can let postgres
assign the unique ID for the new rows in the people table.

Am I still missing something critical?

> MMM, apart from angel dust I do not know what PCP could stand for.

Primary Care Physician.

Best regards,

Rich