Re: insert into: NULL in date column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: insert into: NULL in date column
Date
Re: insert into: NULL in date column  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> I think the problem is actually that you're trying to represent your NULL
> dates with '', which PG doesn't like.

Ken,

   That's certainly how I saw the error message.

> cat test.csv
>
> my_text,my_date,my_int
> 'Some Text','1/1/18',3
> 'More Text,,2
> 'Enough','',1
>
> CREATE TEMP TABLE my_test (my_text TEXT, my_date DATE, my_int INT);
>
> \copy my_test FROM test.csv WITH CSV HEADER
>
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type date: "''"
> CONTEXT:  COPY my_test, line 4, column my_date: "''"
>

> You'll note that it breaks on the last line, which is like yours, not
> the one before it.

   Huh! I'll leave off the quote marks and see if that makes a difference ...
tomorrow morning. Since dates are treated as strings I thought their absence
also needed the quotes. Stay tuned to this mail list for test results.

Thanks,

Rich