Validating User Login Within Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Validating User Login Within Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
   I'm developing a new application and want to take advantage of postgres
features such as triggers and stored procedures and put as much of the
middleware 'business logic' into the database engine as is practical.

   Is it possible, or practical, to validate a potential user login within
the database? What I've done in the past is search the User table for that
name and password, return it to the application, and have a Python script
see if the entered username and password match that stored in the table.

   All pointers and suggestions welcome.

Rich