Re: Getting Mysql data into Postgres: least painful methods? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Getting Mysql data into Postgres: least painful methods?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a good method for moving
> mysql data into Postgres?

   I had to do this last year with the ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information
System) maintained by the US Geological Survey.

   Some MySQL key words were immediately recognized and I used emac's
global-search-and-replace to change them to postgres words. Then I tried
reading in individual tables to a newly created database and redirected
errors to a disk file. I fixed the errors postgres identified, dropped the
table, and repeated until there were no errors. Took a bit of time but
worked just fine.

   Then I sent the USGS database maintainer a dump of the postgres database
because he wanted to migrate from mysql to postgres there. I think of it as
a public service. :-)

Rich