Selecting All Columns Associated With Maximum Value of One Column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Selecting All Columns Associated With Maximum Value of One Column
Date
Re: Selecting All Columns Associated With Maximum Value of One Column  (Chris Curvey <chris@chriscurvey.com>)
List pgsql-general
   A table (chemistry) has columns named site_id, sample_date, param, quant,
and str_name (among other columns). I want to find the site_id, sample_date,
and quant for a specific str_name and param. I cannot get the proper syntax
in the SELECT statement.

   My attempts are variations of,

SELECT max(quant), param, site_id, sample_date, str_name from chemistry
WHERE param = 'TDS' AND str_name = 'BurrowCrk';

which prompts postgres to tell me,

ERROR:  column "chemistry.param" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be
used in an aggregate function

   I suspect that retrieving these data requires nested SELECT statements,
and I'd appreciate learning how to retrive such data.

Rich