Re: suggestions for archive_command to a remote standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: suggestions for archive_command to a remote standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, John DeSoi wrote:

> rsync seems to be suggested in a number of references for the
> archive_command when copying WAL files to another server. But the
> documentation states in bold letters that the command should refuse to
> overwrite existing files, *and that it returns nonzero status in this
> case*. You can keep rsync from overwriting files, but I don't see any
> options for generating an error if the file exists.

John,

   I've not followed this thread, but I think you misunderstand rsync. I use
it (via dirvish) to back up files every night to an external drive (all
files on the server) and to copy files between my server/workstation and my
laptop computer.

   If I change a file on the workstation, then want the latest version on the
laptop I run rsync with the -avz options and I get the file revised.

   Of course, I may be completely off base here with your needs.

Rich