Re: Connecting PHP-based Application to Postgres-9.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Connecting PHP-based Application to Postgres-9.0.3
Date
List pgsql-php
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> That is a bit odd. Yes, please do post the relevant bits of the .conf -
> clearer heads than mine may spot something.

Ray,

# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'syslog'        # Valid values are combinations of
                     # stderr, csvlog, syslog, and eventlog,
                     # depending on platform.  csvlog
                     # requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = on        # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog
                     # into log files. Required to be on for
                     # csvlogs.
                     # (change requires restart)

# These are only used if logging_collector is on:
#log_directory = 'pg_log'        # directory where log files are written,
                     # can be absolute or relative to PGDATA
#log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'    # log file name pattern,
                     # can include strftime() escapes
#log_truncate_on_rotation = off        # If on, an existing log file of the
                     # same name as the new log file will be
                     # truncated rather than appended to.
                     # But such truncation only occurs on
                     # time-driven rotation, not on restarts
                     # or size-driven rotation.  Default is
                     # off, meaning append to existing files
                     # in all cases.
log_rotation_age = 1d            # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
                     # happen after that time.  0 disables.
log_rotation_size = 10MB        # Automatic rotation of logfiles will
                     # happen after that much log output.
                     # 0 disables.

# These are relevant when logging to syslog:
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

silent_mode = off            # Run server silently.
                     # DO NOT USE without syslog or
                     # logging_collector
                     # (change requires restart)

# - When to Log -

#client_min_messages = notice        # values in order of decreasing detail:
client_min_messages = debug5                    #   debug5
                     #   debug4
                     #   debug3
                     #   debug2
                     #   debug1
                     #   log
                     #   notice
                     #   warning
                     #   error

#log_min_messages = warning        # values in order of decreasing detail:
log_min_messages = debug5                    #   debug5
                     #   debug4
                     #   debug3
                     #   debug2
                     #   debug1
                     #   info
                     #   notice
                     #   warning
                     #   error
                     #   log
                     #   fatal
                     #   panic

#log_min_error_statement = error    # values in order of decreasing detail:
log_min_error_statement = debug5                     #   debug5
                     #   debug4
                     #   debug3
                     #   debug2
                     #   debug1
                      #   info
                     #   notice
                     #   warning
                     #   error
                     #   log
                     #   fatal
                     #   panic (effectively off)

#log_min_duration_statement = -1    # -1 is disabled, 0 logs all statements
                     # and their durations, > 0 logs only
                     # statements running at least this number
                     # of milliseconds

# - What to Log -

#debug_print_parse = off
#debug_print_rewritten = off
#debug_print_plan = off
#debug_pretty_print = on
#log_checkpoints = off
log_connections = on
log_disconnections = on
#log_duration = off
log_error_verbosity = verbose        # terse, default, or verbose messages
#log_hostname = off
#log_line_prefix = ''            # special values:
                     #   %a = application name
                     #   %u = user name
                     #   %d = database name
                     #   %r = remote host and port
                     #   %h = remote host
                     #   %p = process ID
                     #   %t = timestamp without milliseconds
                     #   %m = timestamp with milliseconds
                     #   %i = command tag
                     #   %e = SQL state
                     #   %c = session ID
                     #   %l = session line number
                     #   %s = session start timestamp
                     #   %v = virtual transaction ID
                     #   %x = transaction ID (0 if none)
                     #   %q = stop here in non-session
                     #        processes
                     #   %% = '%'
                     # e.g. '<%u%%%d> '
#log_lock_waits = off            # log lock waits >= deadlock_timeout
#log_statement = 'none'            # none, ddl, mod, all
#log_temp_files = -1            # log temporary files equal or larger
                     # than the specified size in kilobytes;
                     # -1 disables, 0 logs all temp files
#log_timezone = unknown            # actually, defaults to TZ environment
                     # setting

> What platform are you on (maybe you said already, and I missed it)? How did
> you install PostgreSQL?

   Slackware-13.1/32-bit (soon to be upgraded to -13.37/64-bit). The
SlackBuild script did not want to work for me so I built with the usual
./configure; make; make install.

> I think you've already got all the diagnostics you're going to get from
> the PHP side of things... there are PHP functions to get the most recent
> error from the Postgres connection, but it sounds as though the connection
> isn't getting made in the first place (which of course negates my upthread
> guess about bytea... doh).

   I think that's the problem. When I configured php I specified pgsql and
removed mysql, yet I don't see this database listed in the phpinfo output
nor do I have the libraries when I try to 'find' them. This may be the key.
I can send the php configure options, too.

Rich