Re: pgbench - add \if support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: pgbench - add \if support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> few scripting features doesn't mean scripting language. \if in psql is nice
> feature that reduce duplicate code, unreadable code, and helps with
> deployment and test scripts. pgbench and psql should to have similar
> environment - and I am thinking so \if should be there.
>
> Using Lua is not bad idea - in psql too - I though about it much, but in
> this case is better to start from zero.

Yep. Having another versatile (interactive) client would not be a bad
thing. I'm still wondering how to conciliate any scripting language with
"bare SQL". The backslash-oriented syntax already used for psql & pgbench
seems the only available option. Otherwise ISTM that it is back to a
standard library oriented client access with import, connect, exec...
whatever set of function already provided by standard libraries (psycopg
for python, ...).

--
Fabien.