Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results intovariables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgbench - allow to store select results intovariables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Rafia,

> I was reviewing v7 of this patch, to start with I found following white
> space errors when applying with git apply,
> /home/edb/Desktop/patches/others/pgbench-into-7.patch:66: trailing
> whitespace.

Yep.

I do not know why "git apply" sometimes complains. All is fine for me both
with "git apply" and "patch".

Last time it was because my mailer uses text/x-diff for the mime type, as
define by the system in "/etc/mime.types", which some mailer then
interpret as a license to change eol-style when saving, resulting in this
kind of behavior. Could you tell your mailer just to save the file as is?

> Apart from that, on executing SELECT 1 AS a \gset \set i debug(:a) SELECT 2
> AS a \gcset SELECT 3; given in your provided script gset-1.sql. it is
> giving error Invalid command \gcset.

Are you sure that you are using the compiled pgbench, not a previously
installed one?
  bin/pgbench> pgbench -t 1 -f SQL/gset-1.sql    SQL/gset-1.sql:1: invalid command in command "gset"    \gset
  bin/pgbench> ./pgbench -t 1 -f SQL/gset-1.sql    starting vacuum...end.    debug(script=0,command=2): int 1
debug(script=0,command=4):int 2    ...

> Not sure what is the intention of this script anyway?

The intention is to test that gset & gcset work as expected in various
settings, especially with combined queries (\;) the right result must be
extracted in the sequence.

> Also, instead of so many different files for error why don't you combine
> it into one.

Because a pgbench scripts stops on the first error, and I wanted to test
what happens with several kind of errors.

--
Fabien.