Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Robert,

Here is a v13 and a small test script.
 - change names to random(), random_exponential() and random_gaussian()   I find them too long, but if the committer
wantthat I cannot help   it:-)

 - more comments, especially about the expression evaluation &   type system.
 - improved documentation, in particular to include suggestions by Tomas   Vondra about clarifying explanations about
thegaussian &   exponential random generators, and clear references from \setrandom   to the \set expressions.

 - still just one patch, because removing double would mean removing the 2   exponential & gaussian random functions
whichrequire a double   argument.

   Note that I started with one small patch for adding the infrastructure,   but then Heikki requested more functions
includingdouble type stuff to   illustrate the point, then Robert asks to break it back, going forward   and backward
istiring...

 - still "lousy" *debug functions, because I found them useful for   debugging and testing, really. It is easy to
removethem, but I would   advise against doing that as it would make debugging an expression   much less
straightforward.

--
Fabien.