Re: Refactoring pgbench.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: Refactoring pgbench.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tatsuo,

> Main pgbench logic consists of single file pgbench.c which is 4036 lines
> of code as of today. This is not a small number and I think it would be
> nice if it is divided into smaller files because it will make it easier
> to maintain, add or change features of pgbench.

I do not think that this large file is a so big a problem (good editors
help navigation in the code), and I'm not sure that splitting it would
achieve much: there are not that many functions, some of them are maybe
long (main, threadRun, doCustom) but mostly for good reasons.

I've submitted a patch to remove "fork-emulation", which I think would
really help simplify the code (maybe -10% source in "pgbench.c", less
#ifs, avoid double implementations or more-complex-than-necessary
implementations or not-implemented features).

--
Fabien.