Re: choosing the right RAID level for PostgresQL database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: choosing the right RAID level for PostgresQL database
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011, Dave Crooke wrote:

> For any database, anywhere, the answer is pretty much always RAID-10.
>
> The only time you would do anything else is for odd special cases.

there are two situations where you would opt for something other than
RAID-10

1. if you need the space that raid 6 gives you compared to raid 10 you may
not have much choice

2. if you do almost no updates to the disk during the time you are doing
the reads then raid 6 can be at least as fast as raid 10 in non-degraded
mode (it could be faster if you are able to use faster parts of the disks
in raid 6 than you could in raid 10). degraded mode suffers more, but you
can tolerate any 2 drives failing rather than just any 1 drive failing for
raid 10 (the wrong two drives failing can kill a raid 10, while if the
right drives fail you can loose a lot more drives in raid 10)

where raid 6 is significantly slower than raid 10 is when you are doing
small random writes. Also many the performance variation between raid
controllers will be much higher with raid 6 than with raid 10

David Lang