Re: Bug ? different behaviour between 8.3 and 8.4 won IS NULL with sub arrays of nulls - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
Subject Re: Bug ? different behaviour between 8.3 and 8.4 won IS NULL with sub arrays of nulls
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Tom Lane wrote:

> ioguix@free.fr writes:
>> I found a difference of behaviour between 8.3 and 8.4 on IS NULL with
>> multi-level arrays with NULL values.
>
> 8.3's behavior is just a bug ---

Ok, should I report through the -bugs ml for tracking purpose ? or
is it useless cause it's on -hackers andsomeone will jump on this bug to
"fix and forget it" ?

> try comparing the results when the
> values are variables that happen to be null, rather than simple
> constant nulls.  8.4 is consistent with that case, 8.3 isn't.

Right, it behaves consistently with variables.

Here is another test case where 8.3 is inconsistent with *himself* this
time:

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
postgres=# SELECT substring(version(),12,5); substring
----------- 8.3.9
(1 ligne)

postgres=# SELECT ROW(ROW(NULL),NULL) IS NULL FROM (SELECT 1) t; ?column?
(1 ligne)

postgres=# SELECT ROW(ROW(NULL),NULL) IS NULL; ?column?
(1 ligne)

--
Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
DBA