Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Wakeling
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
Re: Best suiting OS
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
>> For comparison, with Red Hat, you will need to upgrade to a whole new
>> distribution whenever you want updated software, which is a much bigger
>> undertaking.
>
> This is somewhat true for larger packages, but it's not the case for
> PostgreSQL.  You certainly can grab newer RPMs from
> https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore and install them.

The reason we switched that machine to Debian was due to the
postgresql-devel package being missing for Red Hat. We need that package
in order to install some of our more interesting extensions. A quick look
at http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.4/fedora/fedora-9-x86_64/ indicates that
this package is still missing. Because Debian includes Postgres in its
main package repository and uses automated build tools, Debian is unlikely
to suffer the same fate.

Matthew

--
 I'm always interested when [cold callers] try to flog conservatories.
 Anyone who can actually attach a conservatory to a fourth floor flat