Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Matthew Wakeling wrote:

> For comparison, with Red Hat, you will need to upgrade to a whole new
> distribution whenever you want updated software, which is a much bigger
> undertaking.

This is somewhat true for larger packages, but it's not the case for
PostgreSQL.  You certainly can grab newer RPMs from
https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore and install them.  Those
packages are at least as current as their Debian counterparts, and in some
cases the RPMs have been months ahead (I recall there being quite a lag
before Debian supported PG 8.3 for example).

It can be a bit tricky to replace the RHEL version of PostgreSQL with
those, I wrote a walkthrough that covers the non-obvious parts at
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm

The result won't be officially supported by RedHat, but in practice that's
no worse than what you get from the Debian versions.