Re: GiST index performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Wakeling
Subject Re: GiST index performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, no calls to anything including "bioseg"
>> in the name are recorded, although they are definitely called as the GiST
>> support functions for that data type.
>
> I have never had any success in getting gprof to profile functions that
> are in loadable libraries, which of course is exactly what you need to do
> here.

That sucks. However, as another observation, no calls to "gistfindnext"
are recorded in the profile either, and that's in the same source file as
"gistnext" which is recorded. Could it have been inlined? Shouldn't
inlining be switched off on a profiling build?

> ...the best bet is probably to make a test build of Postgres in which
> your functions are linked directly into the main postgres executable.

I'll give that a try. Oprofile scares me with the sheer number of options.

Matthew

--
 Prolog doesn't have enough parentheses. -- Computer Science Lecturer