Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Mark,

> I encourage all to keep their minds open.

Good:-)

My 0.02 EUR (or even less) on the recurrent SCM flame war on the list.

ISTM that a decentralized or distributed SCM for PostgreSQL would be a bad
move, however great it would be at branching and merging.  For me it is a
philosophy question: if PGSQL is a "common work", then everything should
be open and shared, and a centralized systems make sense to embodied this.
Even if one can publish one's branch easily with GIT, it's not the same,
because it is still a personnal branch somehow.

> From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:
  git      n 1: a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible;           "only a rotter would do that"; "kill
therat"; "throw the           bum out"; "you cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a           contemptible person
a`git'" [syn: {rotter}, {dirty dog},           {rat}, {skunk}, {stinker}, {stinkpot}, {bum}, {puke},           {crumb},
{lowlife},{scum bag}, {so-and-so}, {git}]

I'm not sure I would be proud to use such a stupidly named tool for a
"common work". I really do not share Linus humor, and apparent contempt
for other people. GIT implements "I want to chose whom I work with, and
don't care about the others, and don't ever want to have to look at their
ugly patches", or at least it is what I understood from his talk at Google
last year. Would this be the future spirit of PG devel? I hope not.

--
Fabien.