Re: Patch to fix bug #6293 - regression in driver performance with regards to ResultSetMetaData-heavy workloads - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Patch to fix bug #6293 - regression in driver performance with regards to ResultSetMetaData-heavy workloads
Date
In response to Re: Patch to fix bug #6293 - regression in driver performance with regards to ResultSetMetaData-heavy workloads  (Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Steven Schlansker wrote:

> So IMO whether getMetaData() is thread safe or not is irrelevant, as
> nothing else in the class is.  Making the entire class thread safe would
> probably not be worth the effort (sharing a ResultSet between threads
> just sounds like a bad idea, and the increased synchronization overhead
> would punish everyone who does it "right")

I concur that thread safety is not an issue here.  I have committed a
variant of your fix that moves the caching into AbstractJdbc2ResultSet
instead of having each concrete implementation class have its own copy of
that code.

Kris Jurka