From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: ResultSet.getClob() causing problems when used with JPA's @Lob
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> It's not clear to me why the JDBC-driver for PG shouldn't just use
> rs.getString() internally for getClob() calls? Requiring
> special-handling in Hibernate for dealing with Strings by setting an
> obscure property just doesn't seem right. And I don't want to set a
> property to handle CLOB which might affect how I use BLOBs.

The problem is that we have no idea what someone might want to do with a
CLOB after they've fetched it.  You're coming from the idea that all they
want to do is read it and copy the data out to a String.  From that
perspective it's not hard to have a Clob wrapper around a String, but what
happens when they say clob.setString(13, "data")?  Are we going to try and
figure out what row of what table that varchar column is coming from and
do a partial update on it?

Kris Jurka